About Centella Asiatica (Gotu Kola)
Gotu Kola (Centella asiatica) is a small perennial plant native to Asia. It has a long history of use in Ayurvedic and Chinese Medicine.
It is also known as Asiatic Centella asiatica leaf also has high concentration of total phenolic compounds, in particular, catechin, quercetin, and rutin.
It is also used by some to aid meditation and is believed to help balance the left and right hemispheres of the brain which the leaf resembles.
Health Benefits of Centella Asiatica (Gotu Kola) Extract
1 . Centella asiatica is sometimes referred to as the “fountain of youth” due to its healing properties and positive effects on wellbeing.
2. Centella asiatica has a toning and tightening effect on the skin when applied topically. As a result, it is often found as an ingredient in skin firming creams and lotions.
3. Due to its ability to stimulate collagen production, centella asiatica can improve the appearance of aging skin affected by fine lines and wrinkles.
4. Centella asiatica supplements can be taken orally to relieve symptoms of stress, anxiety, and hypertension. Centella asiatica contains a triterpenoid called asiaticoside, which has mild sedative and anti-anxiety properties.
5. Centella asiatica is also known to stimulate the circulation and strengthen the walls of veins and capillaries, making it a useful treatment for varicose veins and venous insufficiency.
6. By increasing the supply of blood to the capillaries under the skin, centella asiatica can improve the health and condition of skin’s surface layers. It can also stimulate hair and nail growth by delivering an increased flow of oxygenated blood to the hair follicles and nail beds.
7. Oral supplements of centella asiatica can improve memory function by increasing the flow of blood to the brain. This can boost the levels of oxygen in the brain, improving concentration and mental acuity. In the Far East, centella asiatica is often drunk in the afternoons as a pick-me-up or tonic that boosts mental ability and clarity of thought.